Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Une Famille from Tuesday's home visits


This was a 2 week follow up visit for this little baby who was originally admitted to the malnutrition ward at 3.5kg/4 months old. That's about the weight of a newborn in the U.S. As I see so often, this mom says she is not producing any breast milk, and 'till this day I think that so many moms I meet in the malnutrition ward aren't producing breast milk because they too are malnourished. They may have weight on them from a diet heavy in starches but I don't think they're getting a enough fluids or nutrients. The boy and girl shown below are the older brother and sister and upon my asking the mom how many children had she given birth to all together, she said 6, but 3 have died along the way from various illnesses. The mom is 31. This is typical of the kinds of familes I see.

No comments: