Sunday, February 25, 2007

I'm doing a Kilimanjaro 1/2 marathon this Saturday

So about 10 of us from PIH are heading to Kilimanjaro on Friday to go do a half marathon. I here it is all up hill. Hmmmm. I've already declared to everyone I'm walking it and running if and when I get bored from the walking. Sort of like, I like a little espresso with my milk. I don't know if I've ever walked 13 miles in a matter of hours. Maybe hiking and camping. And I haven't really been training except for my morning walk/jogs of about 25-30 minutes. I'll keep you posted.

PS Sort of spooky right now, there are guys outside all chanting. I've never heard that before. It's past 9pm. All dark outside. I have no idea what a large group of men would be chanting about at this time of night. Hopefully it's about a soccer game or something. But sounds more militaristic to be honest. Maybe it's the soldiers that live up the hill near here? Maybe I'll have someone walk me home tonight.

PSS I have a rat problem. This rat has been coming into my room everynight and I can't get rid of him. Most of my impetus to put my mosquito net down now and make sure it's tucked in well, is so that the rat doesn't crawl onto me at night. Every night now, I stuff clothes in the bottom of the door where he's getting in, 'cause I saw that that was his entry way the other day. The audacity. He is definately a rat. Grey, ugly, his body alone is 1/2 the size of a 250mL water bottle. Hairless long tail and all. So the question is, he got into one of my drawers and seems to like nesting there... and the most devastating discovery of all was that he got into my one and only stash of chocolate bars I brought from the states. Apparently he has similar tastes as me: Cadburry Fruit & Nut. Chocolate is hard to come by here. At least the kind I like, and that was my special private reserve for the rest my stay here. So he nibbled into ALL the bars, but only on one corner. Like he want straight down the stack. Like a piece of corn on the cob.

I was going to just chop off the part he ate... to salvage my one big food treat here, but now I've decided that's kinda' gross and I'm just going to give the rat it's winnings on this one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think in some parts of the world (I can think of at least one) rats are revered. In that spirit, you might consider placing a small bit of your favorite reserve outside your dwelling – far away from your dwelling; yet not so far as to confuse the little bugger.

Or

If you want to get ride of him all together, nestle a piece of chocolate inside a trap.

i would definitely not eat it.

Regards.

Lucy Langenkamp, RN, NP said...

Thanks for the input. I'm actually taking a vote. As my chocolate now sits in a ziploc baggie. To eat or not to eat. That is the question. It's 3:1 right now to cut off the chomped on part and save the rest. They are all expats here though.

-L